4.14.2008

Can I get a do-over?

I need to rewind and start my morning off on another foot. If you don't want to hear a down and depressing story, then go back now. I got paged for work at 5:40 this morning. It was Labor and Delivery. They don't play, so when they call you know it's usually an emergency. When I called them they let me know they couldn't find heart-tones on a baby. This happens alot on patients that have a larger body habitus than their equipment can penetrate, so I just figured it would be a quick scan to calm their worries.

Man, I was wrong. I got there and received the story from the nurse. This girl had shown up early this morning to be induced. Totally normal pregnancy up to this point. After the nurse told me she was 99% sure this baby had passed, I asked her to come in the room with me while I scanned to run interference. The expression on my face can sometimes give way to what I'm seeing on the screen, and I didn't want to be the one to break it to her. The nurse was really helping to distract her while I did the ultrasound, so the "Is everything okay?" question didn't get asked to me.

I feel so horrible and sick. I'm imagining the excitement and anticipation they had when they arrived at the hospital this morning, and the extreme reverse of emotion they are probably going through right now. She talked about what she was going to name her baby, how the nursery was decorated and how all of the family was in town for his birth. Please say a prayer for this family.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

OMG!!!! A bit emotional for me, as my eyes are full of tears!! HUGS Monica. I am thinking and praying for this family!

Shannon said...

Oh how awful!!! Do they have any idea what happened? That is just the worst to have made it so far, and then for it to end like that. That poor woman and her family!!! I will say lots of prayers for them. Sorry your day started so horribly. hugs!!!

Angie Morris said...

OMG that is horrible.....I can't even imange what that mom is gong thru or what you felt

big hugs girl!

Margie said...

That is so sad...

Heather S said...

I can't even begin to imagine their pain. Its things like that that can make life unbearable.

Christy Sanford said...

: ( very sad... so much to deal with ... prays for this family and for you in being there....

Kristen said...

That is heartbreaking. What a horrible thing to experience on what should have been a wonderful day. Hugs Monica!