2.29.2008

Super Baby Food


This book has been my guide lately.

Yep, I've become one of "those" moms. Lately I've been experimenting with making Drew's baby food. I wanted to give him more of a variety of foods than you could get in jars (keep in mind, I still buy a few jarred foods...just not as much), and I wanted him to have fresher fruits and veggies. Not ones that had been on store shelves for awhile.

Bryce is a PICKY eater. I think lots of times it was my fault for not getting him to try new things when he was exploring eating. We knew what baby food he liked and we stuck to it. Now, he's become a product of our actions. He will eat EXACTLY the same thing every day if given the choice. It's been a real headache to get him to realize french fries are not a vegetable. He is becoming more open to new things now....last night for example, he ate a few pieces of sauteed shrimp. It wasn't fried or breaded! He also ate ham & pineapple at dinner the other night. I just can't believe the kind of mother I was to him. I spoiled the absolute crap out of him. I'm going to confess that I actually cooked "his" dinner seperate from ours. Whatever he wanted to eat, or would eat, I would cook special for him. So needless to say, I'm trying to "undo" the damage I've done, and trying not to repeat my mistakes with Drew.

So, some of the foods I've made for Drew are:
-avacados
-mango
-pear
-butternut squash
-yellow squash
-sweet potato
-carrots
-bananas

4 comments:

Angie Morris said...

go Girl!!! I was never brave enough to try to make their food LOL

Shannon said...

Way to go! I have that same book and used to make a little bit of stuff for Jackson, but haven't even attempted with Elena. I was feeling so discouraged yesterday by the same feelings as you. I too cook different meals for both Jackson and Elena than what John and I eat, and they are horrible eaters, especially Jackson. Now I am to the point that I am just hoping to somehow undo all the damage I have done over the years.

Unknown said...

That is great that you are doing that.

Riki said...

I also always made Stephen "Chicken nuggets" or something that he'd like because forcing the issue made him gag and cry. SO he has gone to bed hungry now because he chose to skip dinner, hopefully in the long run it will work out! Good for you and both of the boys are too cute!!!