11.16.2008

TGIM

Thank goodness it's Monday....well, almost. I know that's not commonly wished for, but after the weekend and drama that unfolded, I'm grateful that a new week is about to begin.

My middle sister's b-day was Friday. We took her out to Fulin's for dinner (which was super scrumptious). It was rainy and nasty, so the plan was to head over to our house for gifts and other festivities. I then got the phone call that changed the weekend. My youngest sister (just 16) was driving and she got into a car accident. My other sister was also in the car. They were able to walk away, luckily, but the jeep was totaled. Two other cars were hit (my sis's fault...failure to yield) and those people were alright too. Since my parents were on their boat like every freaking weekend, we were left to straighten out the mess. That's a whole entirely different blog post.

So we're sitting there while the cop is filling out the report and everyone's adrenaline is settling down. I'm trying to decide if they need to go to the hospital or not. My sister took an airbag to the face and she's beginning to feel the burn. Her head also hurts some. She decides she'll wait until our parents get home and then see if they will take her in. My other sister busted up her knee pretty bad, and almost went in that night but put it off until last night. She went into the ER and they gave her a pretty full work-up. X-ray's and CT scans. Luckily, no bones were broken. Her CT scan showed that her liver was lacerated, probably from the seat belt. There were also a few other abnormalities like swollen adrenal glands, swollen spleen and pancreas. I've never heard of that...especially in someone her age. If anyone has some insight please share. She has to go in 5-7 days for a follow-up. And just in case you were wondering, my parents went straight back to the boat yesterday morning.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow, that sucks! Glad they all weren't hurt too badly. I can't believe your parents went back to their boat the next day.

Jacy said...

OMG no wonder you are glad the weekend is over. Glad they were able to walk away. I will pray that everything is back to normal when your sister goes in for her follow up

Meredith said...

OMG! Sorry Monica! Glad for no broken bones.. but personally I almost wonder if that is better b/c that is repairable, know what I mean.

OK, I am no medical person, but I have heard of swollen organs of all kinds from accidents. Impact can do nasty stuff.. even what seem like minor injuries in the beginning.... I can say that from experience as my 'minor' accident that still totaled my $11k+ car messed me up for good!

I would insist she get a second opinion if she is told she is ok... just my two cents.