1.06.2010

Uh-oh Spaghetti O's!

I had a revelation last night. I have been spending so much time making sure that I eat right, and I'm just happy if the kids eat...period. Chris and I were having steak and asparagus last night for dinner. That's just not something that the kids would "love", so I made it easy on myself and heated up a can of Spaghetti O's for them (they were the Publix brand, of course). Then, I gasped after I glanced at the label. 990 mg of sodium PER SERVING. Of course, there are two servings in a can for a grand total of 1980 mgs of sodium! Yikes! I started thinking back....gosh....when I send something "easy" for their lunches, like a Lunchables and then I feed them something like this for dinner, they are cutting close to their daily allowance of sodium in their lunch and dinner alone! (the information I found suggested no more than 2,400 mg sodium per day for adults and children over 4, based on a 2,000 calorie a day diet).


So, all of that prompted me to pull out my forgotten "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook and see if I could find a healthier alternative, which I did! It's really a shame that I have all of the information about nutrition and try to apply it to my own diet, but tend to get a little lazy when it comes to my kids. No more! Read your labels!

0 comments: